Friday, August 19, 2016

We Have (most of) the Stuff!

Ah, Amazon.com, my go-to shopping zone! You’ve seen my shopping list – some oddball stuff you simply can’t walk into Walmart for. Not to mention that I think I did well, getting a lot of my props for under $60 total. I look for items that will (hopefully) last more than one season, but will help me keep a shoestring budget.
Before I detail those, let me tell you my thoughts on the ‘boarded windows’. I REALLY don’t want something bulky or expensive. I may or may not do something like boarded windows next year, or in future years. So what to do? I was all over Google, Pinterest… I finally had an interesting thought: I have all the cardboard boxes the skeletons and other stuff came in. I typically burn or recycle those, since I prefer plastic tubs for storage. So why can’t I paint cardboard for my ‘boards?  A gray base, some black for wood grain and knots… I have craft paints, and can get more inexpensively.
My only hiccup is fastening cardboard to my windows. I’m not sure how to fasten lightweight cardboard to my windows without damaging or leaving residue on my window frames, but have them be secure against wind. Anyone with suggestions?
In any case, that’s what I’m thinking right now. The cardboard can then be discarded in November.
So back to cool stuff I bought:
I needed wigs. Skeletons with hair are much funnier than bald ones, don’t you think? I wanted a beehive for Mom. I was thinking the kind with the flip, but I wasn’t married to that look. I ended up with this blonde beauty:

At about $15, this was by far the most expensive item I purchased.






Of course, Dad and Junior need hair, too. I wanted Dad to have a mullet, and Junior a bowl cut. Amazon delivered!
Junior’s Dumb and Dumber wig was less than $3!

Dad’s “Firebird” mullet with do-rag was $10.



Score! But I need more stuff. I want Mom to look a bit floozy. I stumbled on this little jumper I decided was perfect. Size was no consideration, of course, since it will be worn by a 5-ft skeleton.
A cheap skater dress - $6!

Of course, my Mom character would wear stilettos…

Under $7.50. They also happen to be my size, tho I can’t wear heels anymore. If I decide I won’t reuse them, I’ll donate them.
Of course, I got Junior his propeller beanie for under $7.









And while I was on a roll, I threw in a spiked collar for the smaller skelly dog for under $9 (it’s a Goth choker J).


Finally, I was still sure I needed a baby. That was a tough one, since skeletons apparently don’t come in infant sizes, just human-size, or little toys. I did fond this though. It’s a stress squeeze-toy, just about the right size. Hidden in a swaddled blankie it should do the trick, at just over $3.








I’m not done, of course; the guys have no clothes! I’ll solve that one next time, and also hope to start putting the characters together.

No comments:

Post a Comment