Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Time to Get STUFF!

Once I had the concept for my Halloween display fairly firmly in mind, it was time to put together a shopping list and start sourcing.

SHOPPING LIST (don't take this to the grocery store!)
  • Skeletons: Three, to be Mom, Dad and Junior.
  • Skeleton dog
    • Since Grandin Road had been an inspiration to start this process, I naturally went there to shop these items
  • Wigs, because skeletons with hair are just funny
  • Clothing
  • Shoes of some kind
  • Accessories/props: A beer for Dad to hold, propeller beanie for Junior...  Oh, and we need to add a baby somehow. Hmmm.
  • "Boards" for the windows
  • Atmospheric stuff: webs, Spanish moss, music, lighting
GRANDIN ROAD

Honestly, I'm not trying to plug this particular online retailer, but they are a good source for quality Halloween props that stand up to time a weather. Use whatever source you trust. I wanted props that would last a number or years, but not break the bank (no point in saving money on something if you'll have to re-buy it next year). I was pretty excited about my idea, so I did end up splurging on not one, but two skeleton dogs. Why not? They have ear-bones! Too funny...
The boxes arrived today, and I was dismayed to see the shape they were in. Pretty banged up. :( I will note that the company's packing is very poor.  Nothing at all in any of the boxes to protect the contents! Fortunately, things seem OK. The smaller of the two dogs does have a lose rear leg. Since they're on with screws, I'll see if I can tighten it before I decide if it needs to go back. For now, though, here is the new family:




And that is where they are right now, posed around the house. Hope the pest control guy doesn't need to come in; he may be judgy. The dogs can sit upstairs until Halloween, and the skeletons have loops in their skulls, so I'll probably hang them in an upstairs closet for now.  OK, bring on the lame puns...

Next, budget-shopping more of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment